This recipe is best with
- Makes 16 bars
- 30gm cocoa powder
- 55gm butter
- 1 tbsp instant coffee powder/ coffee emulco
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 85gm all-purpose flour
- 50gm castor sugar
- 50gm brown sugar
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp coffee liqueur
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 40gm confectioners' sugar for decoration (optional)
- Preheat oven to 170 C.
- Grease 8 x 8 inch baking pan.
- Sift together flour, cocoa powder and baking soda. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in a sauce-pan on the stove-top over medium heat, stirring constantly or in the microwave oven.
- Remove from the heat, cool it before stirring in the coffee, 1 egg and 1 yolk and sugar. Mix well before adding in the sifted flour, cocoa powder and baking soda.
- Finally stir in the vanilla and coffee liqueur.
- Bake for 20 minutes in the preheated oven. Cool slightly and dust with confectioners' sugar if used. Cut into squares.