Ingredients is not available.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large, deep sauté pan.
- Add carrots, then onion. Sauté until vegetables start to turn golden brown. Stir vegetables often, making sure they do not burn.
- Reduce heat to low and add butter, sugar and garlic; continue cooking until all vegetables are a rich spotty caramel color.
- Add curry powder, cinnamon, cumin and nutmeg; continue to sauté until fragrant.
- Add broth; bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer, partially covered, until carrots are tender.
- Leave broth to cool slightly.
- Carefully pour broth into a blender. Puree until very smooth.
- Return to pan and add enough whole milk so the mixture is just thick enough to float garnish. Taste, and add salt and pepper if needed. Heat through, ladle into bowls, and garnish with croutons if desired. Serve immediately.