This delectable Dried Shrimp Mooncake Biscuit treat has a hint of spice from the dried shrimp sambal.
This recipe was first published in Flavours magazine.
- 150g margarine
- 60g icing sugar, sifted
- 1 egg
- 10g custard powder, sifted
- 300g flour, sifted
- 400g lotus paste
- 80g dried shrimp sambal
- 1 egg, beaten with 1 tbsp milk and 1 tsp palm oil
- edible gold leaf, for decoration
- To prepare skin: Beat margarine with icing sugar until creamy. Beat in egg, and slowly fold in sifted dry ingredients until just mixed. Do not over mix. Divide dough into 50g portions.
- To prepare filling: Combine the ingredients and mix well, then chill for 30 minutes. Divide into 40g portions.
- To assemble: Press each dough ball into a circle. Place the filling in the centre and wrap dough around it. Shape into squares.
- To bake: Pre-heat oven at 180ºC. Place biscuits onto a greased baking tray and brush with eggwash. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Allow to cool then decorate with gold leaf.