- 5 stalks lemongrass, leafy ends cut off
- 150g castor sugar
- 900ml water
- 30g ginger, smashed
- 3 screwpine leaves, shredded and knotted
- 3 limes
- 1/2 cup light rum
- Bash the thick end of the lemongrass with the back of a cleaver (to release the flavour). Put sugar, lemongrass and ginger in a saucepan. Pour in water and bring to boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for three or four minutes. Stir occasionally until sugar is completely dissolved. Add screwpine leaves and continue to simmer for a further three to five minutes. Remove from the heat and leave aside to cook completely.
- Divide rum between four individual glasses and squeeze in the lime. Pour in lemongrass syrup and stir briskly.