- 500g graded glutinous rice - wash and soak overnight; drain well
- fresh bamboo leaves
- Dried China grass or string
- 3 litres water
- 3 tsp alkaline water
- 2-3 tsp food grade boric acid (pangsat or peng seh)
- Dissolve these ingredients together:
- 1 1/2 tbsp first grade alkaline water
- 2 tsp food grade boric acid (optional)
- Marinate glutinous rice with borax mixture and 1/2 tsp yellow colouring if desired, for 1-2 hours before use.
- Take a piece of fresh bamboo leaf, fold into a cone shape. Fill about 1/2 of casing with the marinated rice. Wrap into a pyramid shape and bind securely with dried chinese grass or string.
- Bring water to a boil. Add the alkaline water and borax. Put in about 2 bundles of dumplings and boil for 3 hours. Add boiling water whenever necessary. Remove and hang to dry.