The ‘Soup-er Delicious‘ series:
ABC Soup – serve soup on your dinner table as easy as this ABC soup!
Tom Yam Soup – Tom Yam soup is one of Malaysian’s favourite soup that helps to stimulate appetite in this hot weather.
Stir-fried Mixed Vegetables – make a complete meal with this stir-fried mixed vegetable!
- For ABC Soup
- 1 whole chicken, cut into pieces
- 2 large carrots, cut into large chunks
- 3 medium potatoes, cut into large chunks
- 2 large tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 large onion, cut into wedges
- 2 litres water
- 1 teaspoon white peppercorn
- salt to taste
- For Tom Yam Soup
- 8 Prawns (shelled, but shells to keep for boiling the stock)
- cod fish (chunks)
- golden mushrooms
- 1 can of straw mushrooms
- 2 lemongrass (cut into lengths of approx 6cm, bruised)
- lengkuas (approx 3 inches, cut into 5 "chunks")
- lime leaves (10 leaves, torn)
- 3 chilli padi, broken
- 3 coriander roots (keep the leaves for garnish)
- 2 tomatoes, quartered
- 3 limes, for juice
- 1-2 cubes of maggi stock (i use tom yam or chicken)
- fish sauce (1/3 cup)
- For Stir-fried Mixed Vegetables
- 1 pcs cauliflower, sliced (medium-sized)
- 1 pcs carrots, sliced
- 1 handful snow peas
- 1 handful oyster mushrooms, sliced
- 3 pcs garlic, chopped
- 3 pcs 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 1/2 cup water
- salt to taste
- Clean chicken of all innards and feather stubs. Wash vegetables and cut them all to about the same size.
- Place all ingredients into a pot and fill with cold water until it just covers all the chicken and vegetables. Add whole peppercorns and about 1 teaspoon salt.
- Simmer over medium heat for about 3 hours, or in a pressure cooker for 1 hour.
- When ready, adjust salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately.
- Boil the prawn shells in water for approx 15 min.
- Add all (A) ingredients into the stock and boil. Add stock cube, salt and fish sauce to taste.
- Simmer over low heat for 40 min.
- Add mushrooms, prawns and fish to soup, 5 min before serving.
- Add lime juice to taste.
- Heat up oil in a cooking pan and saute garlic and shallots until fragrant.
- Fry carrots and cauliflower for two minutes. Add half a cup of water and let boil to co cook the carrots and cauliflower evenly.
- Once carrots are half-cooked ( around 5 minutes) add snow peas, mushrooms, and salt to taste.
- Stir-fry until evenly cooked. Remove from heat and serve.