- 600g black pomfret, cleaned (make a deep slit along both sides of the fish)
- 1 1/2 tbsp chilli paste
- 10 shallots
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 stalk lemon grass
- (Grind the above ingredients):
- 1 tsp belacan granules
- 1 to 2cm piece fresh turmeric
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 3 kaffir lime leaves, finely shredded
- 2 tbsp oil
- Heat oil in a saucepan. Fry ground ingredients and chilli paste till fragrant. Add lime juice, sugar, salt, pepper and kaffir lime leaves. Stir well to mix. Dish out to cool slightly.
- Stuff cooled ingredients into the sides of the fish. Deep-fry fish in hot oil till golden and cooked. Serve immediately.