This recipe is best with
- 200ml warm water
- ½ tbsp instant dried yeast
- 250g high protein flour
- 50g wholemeal flour
- 2 tbsp milk powder
- ½ tsp bread improver
- 30g castor sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 20g butter
- 30g walnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 20g sultanas
- Grease a loaf pan lightly with butter.
- Sift high protein flour and wholemeal flour onto a piece of greaseproof paper then return husks from the sieve onto the paper. Tip sifted ingredients into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a dough hook. Stir in sugar, salt, yeast, milk powder and bread improver. Mix in butter, walnuts and sultanas.
- Pour water into the flour mixture then turn on the mixer and process for 5 minutes or until the dough is smooth.
- Leave the dough in the bowl to rise, cover with a piece of cling film for 30-35 minutes or until doubled in bulk.
- Knock the dough down then turn on the mixer for 1-2 minutes. Mix until dough is smooth again.
- Remove dough out onto a lightly floured tabletop. Form dough into a long rectangular loaf to fit the prepared pan. Drop dough carefully into the pan.
- Place loaf pan in a large oiled plastic bag. Leave aside to rise for about 50-60 minutes or until it doubled in bulk.
- Preheat oven to 180°C, then brush the surface of the loaf lightly with fresh milk. Bake for 30-35 minutes until the loaf is golden and the base sounds hollow when tapped.