This recipe is best with
- 250g butter
- 220g soft brown sugar
- 500g mixed dried fruits
- 50g glace red cherries, halved
- 50g glace green cherries, halved
- 75g dried apricots, chopped
- 25g prunes, chopped
- Grated rind of one lemon and one orange
- Juice of one lemon
- Juice of one orange
- 100g almonds, toasted
- 200g plain flour
- 150g self-raising flour
- 1 tbsp mixed ground spice
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- 5 medium-sized eggs, beaten
- 2 tbsp brandy or rum
- Line the base and sides of a 24cm round or square cake pan with parchment paper.
- Gently heat butter, sugar and all the fruits in a non-stick pan until the sugar dissolves. Add the lemon and orange rind and stir in the fruit juices. Bring to a gentle simmer for 8-10 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat. Dish out mixture into a bowl and leave aside to cool completely. Add in the almonds.
- Sift the flours into the cooled fruit mixture to mix. Stir in the beaten eggs to combine. Add the brandy or rum and mix well.
- Turn out mixture into the prepared pan. Use a spatula to level the batter.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 150°C for 1¼-1½ hours or until the cake is cooked through when tested with a wooden skewer.