Rusli Kamaruddin shares a 100-year-old Javanese kuih for Hari Raya. This recipe was first published in the Star Food.
- For the serunding ayam filling:
- 1/2 tsp fennel
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp coriander seeds
- 10 small red onions
- 5 cloves garlic
- 3 candlenuts (buah keras)
- 2 tbsp dried anchovies/shrimp, optional
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 2.5cm galangal, thinly sliced
- 2 stalks lemongrass, bruised
- 1/2 chicken, boiled and shredded
- 500ml coconut cream
- salt and sugar to taste
- 200g to 300g grated coconut, dry-fried until brown
- For the pulut:
- 500 glutinous rice
- 500g coconut cream
- 10 pandan leaves
- some banana leaves
- In a blender, blend fennel, cumin, coriander, onions, garlic, candlenuts and dried shrimp. Set aside.
- In a pan, add oil and fry bay leaves, galangal and lemongrass. Once fragrant, add blended mixture and stir well.
- Add chicken and combine well into mixture. Then coconut cream and fry till fragrant and well distributed. Finally add grated coconut and fry mixture until it dries up completely.
- Soak rice in water for 30 minutes.
- Steam until half cooked, then add coconut cream and pandan leaves. Add rice, mix well and leave to cook completely.
- Place banana leaf on a table, add sticky rice and flatten horizontally.
- Add serunding filling in the middle, about 4 tablespoons, depending on the size of the lemper.
- Roll mixture into cylindrical shape and secure each end with string. Cut into smaller pieces and remove leaf before eating.
For the serunding ayam:
For the pulut: