Prawn mee is known in South-East Asia as a spicy and prawn-filled extravaganza of flavour and wonder. If you like prawns, this is definitely something you would enjoy.
Recipe courtesy of Chef Wan in conjunction with the Aeon Chef Wan-Neoflam Star Rewards Programme, those who are looking for quality cookware at affordable prices can get their hands on Neoflam cookware. There are so many choices and picking the right product can be difficult. Still, you will never go wrong with cookware exclusively endorsed by renowned Malaysian culinary icon Chef Redzuawan Ismail, better known as Chef Wan. Full article & more details here!
- 1kg Prawns / Udang (poached & shells reserved / rebus & simpan kulit)
- 125ml Vegetable Oil / Minyak Sayuran
- 2 Whole Chicken Bones / Bahagian Tulang Ayam
- 100g Preserved Radish / Lobak Masin
- 2L Water / Air
- 2tsp White Pepper Powder / Serbuk Lada Putih
- as needed, Salt & Sugar / Garam & Gula
- 300g Yellow Noodles / Mee Kuning, texture cooked to liking / masak tekstur mengikut citarasa
- 140g Chicken Breast / Isi Dada Ayam, poached & shredded / rebus & carik-carik
- 100g Bean Sprouts / Taugeh, lightly blanched / dicelurkan
- 55g Water Spinach / Kangkong
- 4 Eggs / Telur, hard boiled / direbuskan
- 200g Fried shallots / Bawang Goreng Rangup
- 15nos Red Onion / Bawang Merah Kecil, chopped / hiris
- 4 cloves Garlics / Bawang Putih, chopped / hiris
- 100g Dried Shrimps / Udang Kering (soaked & pounded / rendam & tumbuk)
- 2 Tbsp Minced Bean Paste / Taucu
- Shrimp Sambal / Sambal Manis:
- 4Tbsp Cooking Oil / Minyak Masak
- 25 stalk Dried Chili / Cili Kering
- 8nos Red Onion / Bawang Merah Kecil
- 2tsp Dried Shrimps / Udang Kering
- 6 Tbsp Sugar / Gula
- Bring 2L water to boil, and add prawns to poach. After 3-5 mins or until prawns turned pink, remove prawns from the pot.
- Remove the shells and set the prawn meat aside. Put the shells back into the boiling broth and continue to cook for 20 minutes at low-medium heat.
- Saute red onions and garlic until golden brown.
- Add dried shrimps into the mix and stir-fry for a bit while adding some vegetable oil.
- Add the chicken bones and prawn stock. Bring to boil.
- Add dried chillies, fried shallots and shrimp sambal into the broth.
- Add white pepper, salt and sugar to taste.
- Arrange yellow noodles, chicken breast, bean sprouts, hard-boiled egg, and water spinach in a bowl.
- Pour the soup over and top it with prawns and shrimp sambal.
- Garnish with fried shallots before serving.