The original article was first published in The Star Online. Read the full article here.
This recipe is best with
- For the meat mixture:
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
- 50g minced beef
- 3 tbsp water
- 1 tsp meat curry powder
- sugar and salt to taste
- For the egg mixture:
- all of the meat mixture
- 2 eggs
- spring onion, white part only
- 50g red onion, sliced thinly
- black pepper to taste
- For assembling:
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 hot dog bun, cut lengthwise but not all the way through
- all of the egg mixture
- cabbage, super cold and thinly sliced
- 1 tomato, super cold and thinly sliced
- Japanese cucumber, super cold and thinly sliced
- Japanese mayonnaise, as required
- chilli sauce, as required
- Heat cooking oil in a pan on medium high heat and saute garlic and onion until softened. Add minced beef and continue sauteing until lightly browned
- Mix water and curry powder together then add to pan while stirring vigorously to combine well. There should be enough water to slightly submerge the contents of the pan. Allow to simmer for about two to three minutes until the mixture becomes thick but not too dry. Season with salt and sugar, remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Combine meat mixture with eggs, spring onion, red onion and black pepper to taste. Whisk vigorously with a fork until eggs are homogeneous and egg whites are no longer visible.
- Spread butter on cut side of hot dog bun and toast in a pan on medium low heat. Once browned, about 2-3 minutes, remove bun from pan and set a side.
- If remaining butter in the pan is not enough, add about 1 teaspoon of oil.
- Pour egg mixture into pan in a rectangular shape that imitates the hot dog bun. Cook for 1 minute until the bottom is set and starting to brown but still runny on top.
- Put toasted side of hot dog bun on top of egg and press down lightly for another minute until eggs are cooked and have adhered to the bun.
- Flip bun unto your prep area and top the eggs with chilli sauce, mayo, sliced cabbage, tomato and cucumber to your liking. Slice bread into three and serve.