Welcome to the ‘#HealthyEating’ series! #HealhyEating is launched to encourage everyone to love themselves and live a healthier life. In this quarter, we are sharing vegetarian and/or vegan western recipes, Pizza. This dish always makes the day better and is a great comfort food especially with the perfect slice of Margherita Pizza. You can create this recipe at home any time you have a craving for it. It is simple and easy to make. Homemade pizza dough topped with vegan Mozzarella cheese, sliced tomatoes, and fresh basil to make up a Margherita Pizza, which is both dairy-free and vegan friendly too.
Featuring Chef Yong Mei Kei, the Director and Executive Chef at MIB College. She is a qualified food technologist and plant-based chef with a huge passion for food and well-being.
Want more vegetarian or vegan recipes? Check out the ‘#HealthyEating’ recipe folder.
- Pizza Dough
- 440g All Purpose Flour
- 310g Water
- 13g Sugar
- 8g Instant Dry Yeast
- 7g Salt
- 60ml Olive Oil
- Pizza Sauce
- 2 cups Tomatoes, chopped
- ½ cup Tomato Sauce
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 3 cloves Garlic, minced
- ½ nos Holland Onion, sliced
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Black Pepper
- ¼ tsp Dried Basil
- ¼ tsp Dried Oregano
- ¼ tsp Dried Thyme
- Vegan Mozzarella Cheese
- ¾ cup Cashew Nuts, soaked
- 1 ½ cup Water
- 2 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- ⅓ cup Tapioca Flour
- 2 tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 1 tsp Olive Oil
- ½ tsp Salt
- Pizza Topping
- 3 nos Tomatoes, sliced
- 5g Fresh Basil Leaves
- Preheat the oven at 190°C.
- Mix all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl, except olive oil.
- Knead by hand until it forms a dough, cover and allow to rest in a greased bowl for 10 mins.
- Knead the dough for 3 - 4 mins.
- Cover and allow to rest at room temperature for 40 - 60 mins, or until it doubles in size.
- When it is ready, punch to release the air bubbles then divide the dough into 3.
- On a lightly floured surface, use a rolling pin to gently flatten the dough into a disc.
- Place on a prepared pan, and use a fork to lightly poke the surface of the dough. Set aside.
- In a pot, add in olive oil, garlic and onion, saute over medium heat until soft and fragrant.
- Add in all the dried herbs, gently stir.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, tomato sauce, sugar, salt and black pepper, stir to combine.
- Allow the sauce to come to a simmer.
- Using a blender, blend into a smooth paste.
- Reduce the heat to low, let simmer for another 30 - 40 mins.
- Drain the cashew nuts, and add in all the ingredients (except olive oil) to a blender.
- Blend until smooth, scraping down as needed. It will be very watery at this point.
- In a non-stick pan, add the olive oil, then pour the watery mixture in, stir with a wooden spoon.
- After a few minutes, it will start to get clumpy.
- Best to use immediately.
- Spread 1 - 2 scoops of pizza sauce over pre-prepared pizza dough. Spread evenly.
- Place vegan mozzarella cheese, tomato slices and fresh basil on top.
- Bake in a 200°C oven for 15 - 25 mins.
- Top with a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkle of salt. Serve hot.