- 275g rice flour
- 45g wheat starch (tang mein fun)
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1.35 litres hot water
- 1 tbsp dried shrimp, soaked and chopped
- 5 tbsp preserved radish (choy poe), finely chopped
- 4 dried mushrooms, soaked and diced
- 75g Chinese sausage (lap cheong), chopped
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 red chilli, sliced
- 2 stalks spring onion, chopped
- Combine rice flour, wheat starch, salt and pepper in a mixing bowl. Pour in the hot water and mix until evenly blended.
- Spoon this batter into small bowls until almost 80% full. Steam the pudding over rapidly boiling water for 20-25 minutes until set.
- To prepare topping: Heat oil and sesame oil in a non-stick saucepan. Sauté dried shrimp until fragrant. Add preserved radish and continue to fry for a while. Add mushrooms and sausage. Toss well to combine.
- Spoon about a tablespoon of the topping over the rice kuih and continue to steam for a further 4-5 minutes. Remove from heat and leave to cool. Sprinkle with a little of the garnish over the pudding before serving.