Lemon compliments every dish, giving it a kick. Lemon rice originated from South India. The lemon gives the rice a fresh and tangy flavour that will leave you wanting more. This recipe is perfect when you are in a hurry because it is easy to put together in a short amount of time. You can use any plain rice to make this dish.
Chef Sapna Anand is a renowned chef who puts a modern twist to traditional Indian dishes. This recipe is from her cookbook, New Indian Kitchen, which is available at MPH bookstores. She also conducts cooking classes at At 19 Culinary Studio where she shares her cooking experiences and techniques. She blogs at My Test Kitchen and has a FB page under the same name. Photo courtesy of Sapna Anand.
- 2tbsp vegetable oil
- 2cups plain cooked rice
- 3tbsp raw peanuts
- 1tsp mustard seeds
- 2medium-sized onions
- 1large clove garlic, peeled
- 2 green chillies
- 1 stalk curry leaves
- ½tsp turmeric powder
- Zest and juice of one lemon
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
- 1 kaffir lime leaf, optional
- Salt for seasoning
- Finely chop onions and garlic and slit the green chillies lengthwise.
- Zest the lemon and squeeze the juice out of it and set aside.
- Heat the skillet on low heat and add in the oil.
- Add peanuts and roast them for about 5-7 minutes, then add mustard seeds.
- Add the garlic, chillies and curry leaves.
- Stir for a minute, then add the onions and saute until the onions soften.
- Add turmeric powder and salt for seasoning. Stir well for a minute.
- Add the cooked rice, lemon juice and lemon zest. Stir well.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and very finely chopped kaffir lime leaves.