Local fruits, when in season and plentiful, are great for frying up into crispy fritters.
- 350 g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 75 g caster sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 330 g cempedak flesh (without seeds)
- 250 ml water
- Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, sugar, and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Blend cempedak flesh and 50ml water briefly in a food processor until coarsely mashed up.
- Stir the mixture into the flour mixture. Add in remaining water to form a sloppy batter.
- Heat enough oil for deep-frying in a wok over medium heat. Use an ice-cream scoop to scoop out the batter and drop into the hot oil.
- Do this in batches so you don’t overcrowd the wok. Deep-fry until the fritters are cooked through and golden brown in colour.
- Remove fritters as they cook and drain on paper towels. Cool slightly before serving.