Learn this treasured Malay recipe from home cook, Siti Zaleha Md Nor.
For the full interview with Siti, visit this page.
- oil, for frying
- 15 shallots, blended
- 8 cloves garlic, blended
- 100-150g dried prawns, blended
- 4 tbsp chilli paste
- 350g beef, sliced
- 2 litre water
- 1-1 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 8 stalks mustard greens (sawi)
- 5 pieces beancurd, each cut into 6
- 4 tomatoes, quartered
- 600g yellow mee, rinsed and drained
- 5 eggs
- dash of pepper
- salt to taste
- In a large pot, heat oil, fry blended ingredients. Add chilli paste and sliced beef and stir. Add water, tomato sauce, sawi (stalks only), beancurd and tomatoes and stir to combine.
- Add the mee, break eggs into different parts of the pot and let it cook. Add sawi leaves and cook until a little wilted, then season with pepper and salt. Serve hot.