In the mood to try something new? This recipe incorporates the reliable flavours of chocolate and peanut butter in a mooncake.
This recipe was first published in Flavours magazine.
This recipe is best with
- 200ml golden syrup
- 1tsp alkaline water
- 1/4tsp baking soda
- 50ml palm oil
- 280g flour
- 40g cocoa powder
- 300g lotus paste
- 250g peanut butter, chilled
- Egg wash
- 1 eggbeaten with 1 tbsp milk and 1 tsp palm oil
- To prepare skin: In a bowl, mix golden syrup, alkaline water, baking soda and palm oil; allow to rest for 1 hour. Sift flour and cocoa powder over and knead into a smooth dough. Allow to rest for 15 minutes. Divide into 8 portions of 70 to 75g each.
- To prepare filling: Divide lotus paste and peanut butter into 8 portions each. Wrap the lotus paste around the peanut butter.
- To assemble: Flatten a portion of skin dough, place the filling in the centre and wrap the skin around, sealing with your fingers. Press into a flour-dusted mooncake mould, then unmould onto a greased baking tray.
- Bake in pre-heated oven at 170ºC for 10 minutes, then glaze with egg wash and return to the oven, baking for a further 10 minutes. Remove and allow to cool before storing.