In Chinese symbolism, a crab signifies prosperity and success. Give these Prosperity Mooncake Biscuit out as gifts as well wishes to your family and friends.
This recipe was first published in Flavours magazine.
- 125ml golden syrup
- 55ml palm oil
- 1/2tsp alkaline water
- 215g flour
- 2 oranges, zested
- 300g mango lotus paste
- 50g sunflower seeds, toasted
- 30g mandarin peel, chopped
- Egg wash
- 1 egg beaten with 1 tbsp milk and 1 tsp palm oil
- In a bowl, combine golden syrup, palm oil and alkaline water with a spatula. Cover with cling film and rest for 1 hour.
- Sift flour into the mixture, add orange zest and mix into a dough. Cover with cling film and rest for 1 hour. Divide into 35g portions.
- Combine ingredients and divide into 25g portions.
- Dust your hands with flour, then lightly press each dough into a circle, place the filling in the centre and wrap the dough around the filling to enclose it.
- Press into mould and unmould onto a greased baking tray. Brush with egg wash and bake in pre-heated oven at 170ºC, for 15 minutes. Allow to cool before storing.