- 100g Chinese red dates, seeded
- 300ml water
- 45g sugar
- 1 tbsp agar-agar powder
- A tinge of red food colouring
- Bring red dates and just enough water to a boil. Cook until dates are soft. Strain then puree cooked dates with 300ml water in a blender.
- Strain the dates puree into a saucepan. Add sugar and agar-agar powder and colouring then bring to a boil.
- Pour agar-agar mixture into rinsed patty tins and leave aside to set. Remove from the patty tins and cut out with a 5cm (2ins) round cutter. Set aside for use as filling.