Hakka Noodle is a dish prepared as per Hakka Cuisine, usually thin flat Rice Noodles are used for the purpose. Hakka Chinese who are also known as Hakka Han, or the Han Chinese, who are related to the provincial areas of Guangdong, Jiangxi, Guangxi, Sichuan, Hunan and Fujian in China. A majority of these people migrated to various parts of the world centuries ago, among which India was one prominent destination that they headed to. In India, the Hakka Chinese settled in Tangra, Kolkata which later came to be known as the Chinatown of India. We can always find a China Town in almost all major cities around the world. A combination style of Bengali Cuisine(Kolkata) and the Hakka Chinese cooking style gave birth to what we know as ‘Hakka Noodles’ and various other Indo-chinese recipes. Vegetable Hakka Noodles is a recipe adapted from Chinese Cuisine but prepared more or less to suit an Indian Palate and taste buds. Addition of Sauces and seasoning gives this dish a new dimension. This recipe is a Vegetarian version, but can get easy with your whims & fancies & easily convert it into your preferred style by adding Chicken, Eggs, Shrimps etc., The addition of Vegetables/Chicken/Egg and a choice of Sauce can convert this dish into different versions. This dish has invaded almost all restaurants in the name of Chinese food in India. Almost all Indo-Chinese recipes are believed to have originated from India. Despite its popularity around India and being an epitome of Chinese food, this dish is virtually a replica of the original recipe in an Indo-Chinese style of cooking.
- 300 -400 grams Noodles
- 1 nos Large Onion
- 2-3 Cloves Garlic
- 2-3 Nos Green Chillies
- 1/4 Cup Carrot
- 1/4 Cup Beans
- 1/4 nos Green Bell Peppers/Capsicum
- a few Shreds Cabbage
- a Few Spring Onions
- 3-4 Tablespoons Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Light Soy Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Vinegar
- 1 Teaspoon White Pepper Powder
- Salt To Taste
- a Pinch Sugar
- Boil the Water in a wide Bowl/Saucepan. Once the water starts to boil, drizzle a Teaspoon of Oil along with some salt to the water and give a quick stir. Carefully drop the Noodles into the boiling water and mix well. There should be enough Water to cover the Noodles. Do not cover the bowl while cooking the Noodles.
- Cook until the Noodles turn slightly soft. Switch off the flame and immediately pour it out into a colander.
- Drain and wash it through cold running water.(This will stop the cooking process. Can add a teaspoon of Oil at this stage.(Optional). Gently toss the cooked Noodles and leave it aside.
- Cut Carrots and Beans into Julienne's and keep it aside. Chop Bell Peppers into small cubes and chop Cabbage finely.
- Heat Oil in a Pan, Sauté finely chopped Onions, Garlic and Green Chillies. Let the flame be at the high. Immediately add Julienne Carrots and Beans to the above and cook on a high flame for a few minutes.
- Add Bell Pepper Cubes, sprinkle some Salt and Sugar over the vegetables and give a quick stir. Do not overcook the Vegetables, they should have a crunchy texture.
- Add Cooked Noodles and gently mix the ingredients in quick movements. Let the flame be at the high. Pour in the Light Soy Sauce, Vinegar and sprinkle a dash of White Pepper to the above and mix well.
- Finally, add finely chopped Cabbage and mix well. Once all the ingredients are well incorporated, switch off the flame. Garnish the Vegetable Hakka Noodles with finely chopped Spring Onions. Serve Vegetable Hakka Noodles hot with your preferred Sauces or Condiments.