- 2 servings. One cup cooked oats equals 2 servings complex carbohydrate.
- 1 cup organic baby or regular rolled oats
- 1-2 cups apple juice
- 2-3 tablespoons apple puree
- 2-3 tablespoons yoghurt
- 1-2 slices lemon
- choice of fruit toppings
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Combine the oats and juice in a bowl and soak for at least 1 hour, or overnight* in the refrigerator. Add your choice of grated apple or apple sauce, yoghurt and lemon juice, and mix well. Spoon into serving bowls and top with fruit, drizzled with honey - or sprinkle with a teaspoon of brown sugar.
- * A long soaking time is unnecessary with modern rolled oats, especially the instant variety, which have already been softened through a steam treatment. Baby oats, available at many health food stores and supermarkets are fine and doesn't need much soaking. The length of soaking is entirely up to you - insufficiently-soaked oats will have a loose texture and flour-like taste while a long soaking will make the oats more sticky and more compact. Soaking for an hour is ideal for instant baby oats.