This go hands down as one of the kids’ favourites. For this version, I’ve used beef but you can easily replace it with minced chicken or even pork. It’s one of those times where the children wolf down tomatoes, carrots and occasionally leek, without a whine.
One of my tricks of getting that nice sweetish taste but without having to use sugar is to marinate the beef with some canned apple cider drink. A can of Apple Fox or Somersby should do the trick. Some are used to marinate, some used to top up the broth and the rest goes to mommy. 🙂 If you’re not into apple cider, this recipe goes well, with the addition of a tsp of sugar to the dish!
- 300g minced beef
- 2 dash worchestershire sauce
- dash of white pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 medium tomatoes, diced
- 2 carrots, grated
- 3/4 white onion, diced
- 1 cup beef or chicken stock
- 4 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 2 dash white vinegar
- 1 bay leave (optional)
- 1 can apple cider (optional)
- 300g spaghetti
- water to boil
- Add in marinated meat and cook till there's some browning.
- Add in tomato, followed by beef or chicken stock. Add in bay leave and two swigs of apple cider, if available.
- Close the lid and let simmer for 10 mins.
- Open to cover and continue to simmer until the broth level reaches the desired level (just covering the ingredients).
- Add in tomato ketchup, taste and add in vinegar, salt and pepper according to liking.
- Remove and plate. Serve and enjoy!