This recipe is best with
- 300-400g spaghetti
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 pieces sausage or turkey ham, chopped
- 7-8 cili padi, chopped
- 5 button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 fresh shitake mushrooms, sliced
- For the pesto sauce:
- 1 tbsp chopped garlic
- A handful of basil leaves, use leaves only
- 1 heaped tablespoon pine nuts
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup (extra) olive oil
- 2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- Cook spaghetti according to instructions given on the packet. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a saucepan and fry the pine nuts until lightly golden. Remove the nuts.
- Combine the fried nuts, basil leaves, garlic, salt and pepper in a blender. Whiz to process the mixture adding the extra olive oil gradually while blending the ingredients. Pour out the sauce into a bowl and mix in parmesan cheese.
- Heat olive oil in a saucepan and fry garlic until lightly browned. Add sausage or turkey ham and fry till heated through.
- Add both types of mushrooms and cook until well combined. Add cili padi and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour in the prepared pesto sauce and add the spaghetti. Stir and fry until well combined. Dish out and serve.