Unlike apple pie, this is much easier to make as you don’t have to deal with a pastry crust. A great comfort food dessert for any day of the week. The dates already provide sweetness, so you can reduce the amount of sugar according to preference.
This recipe is best with
- 1 1/2cups plain or self raising flour
- 3/4cup brown sugar
- 200g butter, chilled and cubed
- 4large red apples, cored and cubed
- 1 lemon, grate the zest
- 1 lemon, juice only
- 1tsp ground cinnamon
- 1cup pecan nuts, roughly chopped
- 10 dates, pitted and chopped
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Coat a round baking tray or ovenproof dish with butter.
- In a large bowl, toss cubed apples with lemon zest, juice and cinnamon and mix well. Add the chopped nuts and dates. Transfer to a baking dish.
- For the crumble: Mix flour, sugar and chilled butter, using your hands until it resembles chunky breadcrumbs.
- Sprinkle the crumbs on top of the apples until everything is covered. Bake for 20 minutes. Serve with vanilla ice-cream.