This recipe is best with
- Shortcrust pastry:
- 200g plain flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 125g very cold butter
- 3 tbsp ice-cold water
- 300g cream cheese(leave at room temperature)
- 2 eggs, separated
- 75g castor sugar
- 1 tbsp grated orange rind
- 2 tbsp orange juice
- 1 1/2 tbsp corn flour
- 175g canned peaches
- Sift flour and salt into a mixing bowl. Dip the whole piece of butter into the flour. Place a grater above the flour, take the butter out and grate it into the flour. Mix grated butter into the flour. Rub in using your fingertips until butter is well distributed and the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Do not overwork the mixture.
- Add ice-cold water gradually, stirring the flour and butter mixture with a palette knife. When mixture starts to bind well, stop adding water.
- Knead the pastry lightly for a short while until smooth. Wrap pastry with plastic food wrap and chill for 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Roll out pastry between two sheets of plastic wrap. Peel top layer of plastic from pastry. Roll pastry round a rolling pin. Bring rolling pin over a 21 cm flan tin.ease pastry carefully into the tin. Trim edges.
- Prick the base with a fork and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. Bake blind in preheated oven at 190°C for 10 minutes then remove beans and paper and bake for a further 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- To make filling: Preheat oven to 180°C. Drain peaches well then slice thinly. Arrange slices evenly over the base of baked pastry case.
- Beat cheese until light then add in sugar and continue to beat until creamy. Add egg yolks one at a time, beating well after each one is added. Stir in orange juice and rind. Sift in corn flour and blend well.
- In a medium bowl, beat egg white and add a pinch of salt. Sprinkle 1 tbsp castor sugar gradually when egg white is almost firm. Go on beating until egg white turns stiff. Fold egg white mixture into creamed cheese mixture.
- Carefully pour filling over the peaches. Bake in preheated oven for one to one and a quarter hours or until cake is firm. Leave cake in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes with oven door ajar. Remove the pie and cool completely on a wire rack. Refrigerate cake overnight then turn out. Sift icing sugar over and slice into eight pieces and serve.