This recipe is best with
- Basic Butter Crust:
- 350g all-purpose flour
- 4g salt
- 15g granulated sugar
- 250g unsalted butter, chilled, and cut into small pieces
- 80- 100g ice water
- Ham and Cheese Filling:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 - 5 pieces chicken ham, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 125g shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 medium-sized eggs
- 300g cream
- 150g milk
- A pinch of ground nutmeg, white pepper and salt to taste.
- To make the dough by hand, combine the flour, salt, sugar and butter in a medium bowl, and mix with your fingertips until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add the water 1 tablespoon at a time and mix until the dough comes together and is no longer dry, being careful not to over mix. Form into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 45 minutes to an hour or until firm enough to roll out.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pastry, about 2mm thickness to fit into 9 inch (23 cm) pie pan for one round quiche or cut the dough with round pastry cutter and gently press the dough onto individual disposable aluminum pie mould. Flute the edges of the pastry and chill for 20- 30 minutes prior to baking. Preheat oven to 200°C. Line pastry with baking paper. Fill half full with dried beans or rice. Blind bake for 12 minutes. Remove paper and beans before portioning the sautéed ham, custard and cheese into the quiche.
- To make the filling: Heat oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and ham. Sauté for 10 minutes. Drain off the access liquid, scoop filling onto the pre-baked casing.
- To make Savoury Custard: Whisk eggs, cream, milk and seasonings in a jug. Pour over the ham filling and lastly, sprinkle grated cheddar evenly over the pastry and bake for another 30 minutes (for one large whole quiche or 18 minutes for mini individual quiches) or until set before removing from the oven.
- Let the quiche rest for at least 15 to 20 minutes before cutting, ideally, you may serve warm or even at room temperature.