This recipe is best with
- Shortcrust pastry
- 240g self-raising flour, sifted
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 150g cold butter, diced
- 60-65ml ice-cold water
- 250g canned corn kernels, drained and rinsed
- 180g grated cheese
- ½ a red capsicum, chopped
- 1 tbsp finely chopped chives (optional)
- 3 eggs
- 100ml whipping cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 60g shredded Mozzarella cheese
- Put sifted flour into a mixing bowl and add salt. Cut butter into the flour with a pastry cutter until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Make a well in the centre and add water. Mix to a firm dough, then wrap with cling film wrap and chill for 30 minutes.
- Roll out pastry between two sheets of plastic wrap to fit a 22cm round fluted loose-based flan tin. Peel the top layer of plastic from the pastry. Ease the pastry into the tin and remove the remaining plastic. Trim the edges and prick the base with a fork. Freeze for 10 minutes or until pastry is firm.
- Place the tin on a baking tray and bake in a preheated 200°C oven for 10-12 minutes or until pastry is lightly golden. Remove and turn down oven to 180°C.
- Combine corn, cheese, capsicum and chives, if using, in a bowl. Spread over the base of the pastry.
- Put eggs and cream in a jug and season with salt and pepper to taste then beat to combine. Pour mixture over the mixture and top with Mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until set. Serve the quiche warm.