- 800g pork trotters, cut into pieces
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 6 red dates
- 60g sliced young ginger
- 8 dried Chinese mushrooms, soaked
- 400g yam, cut into thick slices
- 1.5 litres water
- Ingredients (A):
- 1 cube preserved or fermented red beancurd (lam yee)
- 1 tsp preserved soya bean (tau cheong), minced
- Seasoning (B):
- 1/2 tsp thick soy sauce
- 15g rock sugar
- Heat oil in a wok and deep-fry yam pieces until lightly browned. Drain from oil and leave aside.
- Heat sesame oil in a deep saucepot, fry ginger for a minute then add trotters and mushrooms. Fry well to combine.
- Add ingredients (A) and stir fry until fragrant. Add seasoning (B) and red dates then pour in water and bring to a simmering boil. Reduce the heat and cook covered for 35-40 minutes.
- Add yam slices and continue to braise until meat is cooked through and yam is softened and gravy is reduced.