- 2 kg old hen, chopped into chunky pieces
- 1 kg lean pork, chopped into large pieces
- 400-500g Chinese ham
- 20 cups water
- 1 carrot
- 6-7 stalks spring onions
- Put chicken and pork in a large stockpot. Add enough water to cover them. Bring to a boil.
- Simmer for 10-15 minutes then discard the water and rinse the meat. Bring the 20 cups of water to the boil then put in the chicken, pork and ham.
- Add the rest of the ingredients. Simmer uncovered for 4 ½-5 hours over a very low heat. Strain the liquid through a fine sieve and discard the rest of the ingredients.