Try this Potato Turmeric Masala, which contains a number of fragrant spices. Turmeric is known to be a powerful anti-oxidant and ginger is known to help in reducing muscle pain and soreness.
- 4 medium Russet potatoes, cut each into 8 pieces
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 tbsp ginger, chopped
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 sprig curry leaf
- 1 stick cinnamon, broken
- 3 star anise
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp fennel
- 2 green/red or dried chillies, cut each into 4
- salt to taste
- oil for frying
- Boil potatoes with 1/2 tsp salt till they are done. Drain and keep aside.
- Heat about 4 tbsp of oil and add mustard, cumin, fennel, cinnamon, star anise and curry leaves.
- Gently fry the spices. When the mustards have stopped popping, add onions, chillies, ginger and turmeric.
- Cook till the onions are slightly golden brown. Add tomatoes, salt ( if necessary) and cook till they form a thick paste.
- Reduce heat and add the cooked potatoes. Coat potatoes with the turmeric spice mix and remove from heat.
- Garnish with your choice herbs. Serve hot.
- Note: To make Spicy Tumeric Potato Masala, just add one tablespoon of chilli powder to the ingredients.