This is a simple recipe that requires you to blend the spices, sauté and simmer. Just the perfect dish to whip up for something flavourful when you have to stay at home.
The recipe was first published on TheStar. Read the full article on https://www.thestar.com.my/food/food-news/2020/04/25/stay-at-home-masak-asam-pedas
- 20g belacan
- ½ cup cooking oil
- 100g tamarind pulp
- 3 cups water
- 3 stalks lemongrass
- 75g eggplant
- 75g ladies fingers
- 1 stalk torch ginger flower
- 5 stalks daun kesum
- 450g golden pomfret fish
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp palm sugar
- Chilli paste:
- 50g dried chillies
- ½ cup water
- Spice blend:
- 200g shallot
- 40g garlic
- 20g ginger
- 10g galangal
- Soak tamarind pulp in water, extract the juice and strain away the pulp.
- Toast belacan in a wok over low heat until dry and fragrant.
- Add oil and spice blend and saute until fragrant. Then add chilli paste and continue sautéing until the oil separates.
- Add tamarind juice, water and lemongrass, then bring to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add eggplant and ladies fingers, then simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add fish, torch ginger flower and daun kesum, then cover with a lid and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Finally, season with salt and palm sugar, and serve hot with rice.
To make Chili Paste:Boil dried chillies in half a cup of water, then blend with some of the water and set aside.
To make Spice Blend:Blend shallots, garlic, ginger and galangal into a fine paste.