NASI Kerabu gets its colours from the vibrant blue of the Butterfly Pea flowers. To add on to the flower theme of the dish, why not combine it with a refreshing flower salad?
This recipe was first published in Flavours magazine.
This recipe is best with
- For Anchovy Sauce:
- 30g anchovy fillets in olive oil
- 1/4cup chicken stock
- 25g lemongrass, sliced
- 15g galangal, sliced
- 15g shallots, sliced
- 3 kaffir lime leaves
- 1tbsp sugar
- 1/2tsp salt
- For Blue Rice:
- 1cup Thai jasmine rice, washed
- 1 1/2cups blue water (boil 1 1/2 cups water with 1 tbsp dried butterfly pea flowers)
- For Salad Mix:
- 2tbsp lotus petals, shredded
- 2tbsp torch ginger flower, shredded
- 2tbsp lemongrass, finely sliced
- 2tbsp shallots, finely sliced
- 2tbsp bean spouts
- 2tbsp young mango, shredded
- 2tbsp long beans, sliced
- 2tbsp cowslip creeper flowers
- 2tbsp fresh butterfly pea flowers
- 2tbsp kaffir lime leaves, shredded
- 2tbsp roasted chilli powder or roasted chilli flakes
- 2tbsp ground roasted coconut
- 2tbsp dried shrimp floss
- 2 limes, sliced
- In a saucepan, bring anchovy and chicken stock to boil over medium heat.
- Lower heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add lemongrass, galangal, shallots and kaffir lime leaves.
- Season with sugar and salt. Remove from heat and strain.
- Place the rice along with the blue water into a rice cooker and cook till fluffy.
- In a bowl, combine the salad ingredients, except the lime slices, with the anchovy sauce and rice, mixing well. Serve with lime slice.
To make anchovy sauce:
To cook rice: