Welcome to ‘Shop Kuali Recipes’! In this ‘Malaysia Boleh Masak’ series, Ayam Masak Merah is a popular Malaysian favourite that needs little introduction. Braised in local flavours of tomato and chilli paste, this dish is best paired with rice.
Save this recipe to refer later and check out at our Trusted Partner, Tesco.
Want more meal planners? Check out the full listing at Shop, Cook, Eat, Repeat.
Shop Kuali Recipes is an answer to busy professionals out there looking for convenience when shopping for quality ingredients, paired with a simple yet delicious recipe. Bundled recipes chosen are meal planners designed for two persons cooking for three times a week. Cooking for more? Simply double up the recipe ingredients!
Save more by buying the meal planner series!
- Ayam Masak Merah:
- 1kg whole chicken (cut into 10 pieces)
- 1tbsp turmeric powder
- 1tsp salt
- cooking oil
- Ground spices:
- 10 shallots (peeled)
- 4 cloves garlic (peeled)
- 2in old ginger (peeled)
- 10 pcs dried chillies
- 2tbsp coriander powder
- 1tsp cumin powder
- 5tbsp cooking oil
- 1inch cinnamon stick
- 4 cloves
- 3 star anise
- 4tbsp tomato sauce
- 1/2 small bottle chilli sauce
- 1 small can evaporated milk
- 10 red chillies (cut half)
- 2 tomato (cut wedges into six)
- 5in pandan leaf
- 1 stalk lemongrass
- salt to taste
- sugar to taste
- Marinate the chicken with turmeric powder and salt for at least 20 mins. Deep fry until 3/4 cooked and set aside.
- Blend the ground spices with 1 1/2 cups of water.
- Heat oil until hot, sauté ground spices until fragrant.
- Add in cinnamon stick, cloves and star anise. Fry for 5 minutes.
- Add tomato paste and chilli sauce, stir-fry well until the tomato paste becomes oily.
- Then add in the chicken, pandan leaf and lemongrass together.
- Reduce heat and simmer until chicken is tender and gravy turns thick.
- Lastly add evaporated milk, chillies and tomatoes.
- Season with salt and sugar. Serve.