‘Chocolate Chiffon 3 Ways’ series:
Chocolate Chiffon Cake – chocolatey but still light and airy. Make this to impress your dinner guests.
Chocolate Swiss Meringue Buttercream – make it fancy with a smooth and creamy frosting to level up your baking skills.
Chocolate Cake Balls – don’t throw away your extras, turn them into this easy yet irresistible bitesize treat. It’s easy to make from scratch too!
- Chocolate Chiffon Cake
- 70g milk
- 5nos egg yolks
- 60g unsalted butter (melted)
- 2g vanilla essence
- 60g cake flour
- 25g cocoa powder
- 2g baking powder
- 5nos egg whites
- 100g castor sugar
- 2g salt
- Chocolate Swiss Meringue Buttercream
- 100g egg whites
- 80g castor sugar
- 1-2g salt
- 220g unsalted butter (cold but slightly softened)
- 3g vanilla essence
- 25g cocoa powder
- 40g hot water
- Chocolate Cake Balls
- Chocolate Chiffon Cake (refer above)
- Chocolate Swiss Meringue Buttercream (refer above)
- 400g cooking chocolate
- 40g vegetable shortening
- Additional salt for topping
- In a mixing bowl, combine milk,, egg yolks, melted unsalted butter and vanilla essence. Mix well.
- Add in sifted cake flour, dutch cocoa powder and baking powder. Mix till no lumps of flour are visible and set aside.
- In another mixing bowl, use a hand mixer and whisk the egg whites till it starts to foam. Gradually add in the salt and castor sugar, whip till it forms a stiff peak.
- Incorporate 1/3 of the meringue into the egg flour mixture. Once the mixture is mixed well, fold in the rest of the meringue gently.
- Transfer over to the chiffon mold and bake at 170 deg C for 35-40 minutes.
- Once baked, place the chiffon upside down on a cooling rack. Let it cool completely before removing from the mold.
- In a small bowl, mix the cocoa powder and hot water till it is well combined. Set aside.
- In a clean mixing bowl, combine the egg whites, sugar and salt. Set the bowl over a simmering pot of water over medium heat.
- Make sure not to let the bottom of the bowl touch the water. Whisk the egg white mixture till the sugar dissolves, approximately 4-5 minutes
- Temperature read on thermometer should be at 70 deg C or you could lightly dip your finger in and if it feels too hot to stay, it should be ready to whip.
- Bring over to the mixer and whisk till it forms a stiff glossy peak. At this point the bowl should also feel cool too touch.
- Switch to a paddle attachment and gradually add in your cold but slightly softened butter in with the mixer on low to medium speed.
- After all the butter has been added, increase the speed to medium high and fully beat in the vanilla essence and cocoa mixture, about 30 seconds.
- Once done, your chocolate Swiss meringue buttercream should be look glossy and silky smooth. Ready for application!
- In a bowl, crumble the chiffon cake. Gradually add in the buttercream (in 1/4 portions) till the cake crumbs are able to hold its shape when round up into a ball. It should not crumble when rolling.
- Place the rounded cake balls on a lined baking tray and freeze for 20-30 minutes
- Meanwhile, melt the chocolate and vegetable shortening using a water bath or microwave.
- Poke each with a bamboo skewer and dip into the melted chocolate before placing back onto the lined tray
- Garnish with some sea salt on top if you'd prefer. Enjoy!