Welcome to ‘Shop Kuali Recipes’! In this ‘Chocolate Chiffon 3 Ways’ series, you’ll find this smooth and creamy Chocolate Swiss Meringue Buttercream frosting very useful to frost your cakes!
Save this recipe to refer to later and check out at our Trusted Partner, Tesco | Lotus’s.
Want more meal planners? Check out the full listing at Shop, Cook, Eat, Repeat.
Shop Kuali Recipes is an answer to busy professionals out there looking for convenience when shopping for quality ingredients, paired with a simple yet delicious recipe. Bundled recipes chosen are meal planners designed for two persons cooking three times a week. Cooking for more? Simply double up the recipe ingredients!
Save more by buying the meal planner series!
- 100g egg whites
- 80g castor sugar
- 1-2g salt
- 220g unsalted butter (cold but slightly softened)
- 3g vanilla essence
- 25g cocoa powder
- 40g hot water
- In a small bowl, mix the cocoa powder and hot water till it is well combined. Set aside.
- In a clean mixing bowl, combine the egg whites, sugar and salt. Set the bowl over a simmering pot of water over medium heat.
- Make sure not to let the bottom of the bowl touch the water. Whisk the egg white mixture till the sugar dissolves, approximately 4-5 minutes
- Temperature read on thermometer should be at 70 deg C or you could lightly dip your finger in and if it feels too hot to stay, it should be ready to whip.
- Bring over to the mixer and whisk till it forms a stiff glossy peak. At this point the bowl should also feel cool too touch.
- Switch to a paddle attachment and gradually add in your cold but slightly softened butter in with the mixer on low to medium speed.
- After all the butter has been added, increase the speed to medium high and fully beat in the vanilla essence and cocoa mixture, about 30 seconds.
- Once done, your chocolate Swiss meringue buttercream should be look glossy and silky smooth. Ready for application!
- You could store the buttercream in the freezer for 4 -6 weeks, wrapped. Just defrost and whip it again before using.