In this ‘Chocolate Chiffon 3 Ways’ series, you’ll find this smooth and creamy Chocolate Swiss Meringue Buttercream frosting very useful to frost your cakes!
- 100g egg whites
- 80g castor sugar
- 1-2g salt
- 220g unsalted butter (cold but slightly softened)
- 3g vanilla essence
- 25g cocoa powder
- 40g hot water
- In a small bowl, mix the cocoa powder and hot water till it is well combined. Set aside.
- In a clean mixing bowl, combine the egg whites, sugar and salt. Set the bowl over a simmering pot of water over medium heat.
- Make sure not to let the bottom of the bowl touch the water. Whisk the egg white mixture till the sugar dissolves, approximately 4-5 minutes
- Temperature read on thermometer should be at 70 deg C or you could lightly dip your finger in and if it feels too hot to stay, it should be ready to whip.
- Bring over to the mixer and whisk till it forms a stiff glossy peak. At this point the bowl should also feel cool too touch.
- Switch to a paddle attachment and gradually add in your cold but slightly softened butter in with the mixer on low to medium speed.
- After all the butter has been added, increase the speed to medium high and fully beat in the vanilla essence and cocoa mixture, about 30 seconds.
- Once done, your chocolate Swiss meringue buttercream should be look glossy and silky smooth. Ready for application!
- You could store the buttercream in the freezer for 4 -6 weeks, wrapped. Just defrost and whip it again before using.