Welcome to ‘Shop Kuali Recipes’! In this ‘Malaysia Boleh Masak‘ series, Daging Masak Kicap is an all round favourite. Keep this dish overnight and it will taste even better as well.
Save this recipe to refer later and check out at our Trusted Partner, Tesco.
Want more meal planners? Check out the full listing at Shop, Cook, Eat, Repeat.
Shop Kuali Recipes is an answer to busy professionals out there looking for convenience when shopping for quality ingredients, paired with a simple yet delicious recipe. Bundled recipes chosen are meal planners designed for two persons cooking for three times a week. Cooking for more? Simply double up the recipe ingredients!
Save more by buying the meal planner series!
The recipe was first publish on TheStar at https://www.thestar.com.my/food/food-news/2020/05/16/easy-to-cook-beef-dish-offers-deep-caramel-flavour-and-spicy-kick
- 500g lean beef, sliced to about 1cm thick
- 4 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 stalk curry leaves
- 3cm cinnamon stick
- 5 buds cloves
- 5 pods cardamom
- 1 tbsp ground fennel
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 5 tbsp kicap manis
- 20g tamarind pulp
- ½ cup cold water
- ¼ tsp salt to taste
- Spice blend:
- 5 bulbs shallots
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3cm ginger
- 10g dried chillies
- ½ cup hot water
- Grind the spice blend into a fine paste. Heat oil in saucepan and temper the curry leaves, cinnamon, cloves and cardamom until fragrant.
- Then add the spice blend, fennel, cumin and tamarind pulp and sauté further until fragrant.
- Add the sliced beef and sauté until lightly cooked. Stir in kicap manis, water and salt to taste, then lower the heat and simmer for about 2 hours until gravy thickens.
- Remove from heat and serve.