Welcome to ‘Shop Kuali Recipes’! In this “Peel” Awesome Recipe series, this Orange Chicken recipe is a great alternative to your typical ketchup based sweet and sour chicken. One of our Kuali favourites!
Save this recipe to refer to later and check out at our Trusted Partner, Tesco/Lotus’s.
Want more meal planners? Check out the full listing at Shop, Cook, Eat, Repeat.
Shop Kuali Recipes is an answer to busy professionals out there looking for convenience when shopping for quality ingredients, paired with a simple yet delicious recipe. Bundled recipes chosen are meal planners designed for two persons cooking three times a week. Cooking for more? Simply double up the recipe ingredients!
Save more by buying the meal planner series!
- Marinating the chicken
- 200g chicken breast or rib meat (bone removed) - cut into small cubes
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Frying Batter for the Chicken
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp corn flour
- 1/4 tsp salt and black pepper
- 1/4 cup water
- Some oil for frying
- Orange Sauce
- 2 nos orange (freshly squeezed juice and zest)
- 1/2 Tbsp honey
- 2 tsp corn flour
- some salt and black pepper (to taste)
- 1 stalk of spring onion (chopped)
- some toasted sesame seeds
- Cut the chicken meat into small cubes/pieces and marinate with the minced garlic, soy sauce, salt and black pepper. Set aside for at least 10-15 mins
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine all of the batter ingredients and mix till well combined. Transfer the marinated chicken into the batter and make sure that they're evenly coated.
- Fry them till they're golden brown, approximately 4-5 minutes (med to high heat). Once done, set aside on a kitchen towel.
- Moving on to the orange sauce, combine the freshly squeezed juice and zest, honey, corn flour and some salt and pepper in a pan. Make sure the corn flour has dissolve before turning on the heat.
- Let it simmer and once it thickens, add in the fried chicken cubes to coat.
- Serve on top of some rice and garnish with chopped spring onions and some toasted sesame seeds.
- The addition of onion and capsicum would make the dish even more wholesome. Just pan fry them with some oil, before adding in the pre-combined orange sauce ingredients
- Feel free to adjust the sweetness accordingly
- Make sure that your oil is hot before deep frying the chicken pieces