This recipe is best with
- 600g pumpkin, peeled and cubed
- 150g carrot, cut into slices
- 900ml fresh chicken stock
- 1-2 tsp whipping cream (optional)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp chilli powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Steam pumpkin and carrot for 15 minutes until soft. Leave to cool slightly then place into a food processor. Add 300-400ml chicken stock and blend into a smooth purée.
- Heat olive oil in a saucepan. Add bay leaf. Sauté for a minute. Stir in pumpkin purée and add remaining chicken stock gradually. Add cumin, nutmeg and chilli powder. Stir and bring to a gentle boil.
- Once the soup comes to a bubbling boil, add seasoning to taste and turn off the heat. Ladle soup into individual bowls.
- Add an extra sprinkle of ground black pepper and stir in whipping cream if desired.