- Line a 22cm-23cm round cake with non-stick parchment paper.
- Put sugar into a heavy-based saucepan and melt over low heat, stirring until sugar turns into an amber-coloured syrup. Remove saucepan away from the heat and slowly add water.
- Stir until caramel syrup dissolves into a thin dark liquid. Set aside to cool completely.
- Cream butter and sugar until creamy and light. Beat in eggs one at a time and add in essence.
- Fold in sifted flour and mix. Stir in mixed fruits. Add in cooled syrup and mix well to blend.
- Pour into prepared tin and cover with a piece of aluminium foil. Steam over rapidly boiling water for 2½ to three hours.
You may also like