Originating from Britain, the Sticky Date Pudding is also popular among locals as a delicious dessert for the season of Ramadan and Raya. This recipe was first published in Flavours magazine.
- 270g dates (pitted and chopped finely)
- 310 ml water
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 110 g brown sugar
- 60 g butter (cubed)
- 2 large eggs
- 150 g self-rising flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Butterscotch sauce:
- 200 ml cream
- 165 g brown sugar
- 80 grams butter
- A pinch of salt
- Place the dates and water in a pot and bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat, stir in the soda bicarbonate, cover the pot with a lid and leave for 5 minutes.
- Pour the mixture into a bowl and leave to cool.
- Then, fold in the sugar, butter and eggs, followed by the flour and salt.
- Lightly butter muffin tins and pour the mixture into them.
- Bake in a 180°C pre-heated oven for about 20-30 minutes, depending on the size of the tin, then remove from oven.
- Place all the ingredients into a small saucepan, and cook over low heat, stiring continuously.
- Cook till sauce becomes smooth and slightly thickened
- Prick the cake with a skewer then spoon the sauce over it.
- Let the pudding sit for 10 minutes, then turn it out onto a plate.
- Serve warm with drizzles of butterscotch sauce.