- 300g wild fern shoots (pucuk paku), plucked into sections
- 1-2 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp ground belacan
- 1 tbsp dried prawns, soaked briefly and coarsely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1/2 an onion, cut into half rings
- 1 red chilli, seeded and cut into slices
- 50g stink beans (petai)
- For the seasoning (to mix together)
- 1/2 tsp fish sauce or to taste
- 1 tsp sugar or to taste
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp chicken stock powder
- Blanch wild fern shoots in a wok of boiling water for 10 to 20 seconds. Dish and drain.
- Heat oil in a wok and saute belacan and dried prawns until fragrant. Add in garlic and onion and fry briskly.
- Add in red chilli and stir in seasoning to mix. Return wild fern shoots to the wok and add petai to combine. Toss briefly then dish out and serve.