- Cut yam into chunks (approx. 1 x 1 x 4 cm).
- Add just enough water to cover the yam. Cook in a covered pot over high heat. Once boiling, uncover a little and simmer for about 20 mins over low heat, (or until soft).
- Slice shallots. Fry shallots in oil. Remove shallots from oil when it starts to turn golden brown.
- Shell gingko nuts. Boil nuts in water for 10 min. Remove & run in cold water to remove skin. Using a toothpick, remove the centre of the gingko nuts. (CNi's Tip: poke from the sharper end of the nut)
- Once yam is soft, do not drain water. Mash the yam & let it sit for 5min. (Till water is absorbed).
- Add yam to oil in wok and slowly fry the oil into the yam over low heat. 2 min. (Add oil in 2-3 batches)
- Boil the gingko nuts in water (till nuts turn glossy yellow). Add sugar to taste. Add cornflour (mixed in a little cold water) to the sugar syrup, till syrup is slightly thickened.
- To serve, add the sugar syrup & gingko nuts into the yam. Mix well.
You may also like