Rich Fruit Cake
1 packet Big Sister’s Mixed Fruits
200 gm of raisins or sultanas (optional)
75 gm chopped walnut (or almonds)
225gm plain flour(Pau Flour or Superfine also can)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp soda bicarbonate
225 gm butter (not too soft)
100 gm brown sugar or white sugar + treacle
4 big eggs
2 tbsp honey – add into fruits
1 tsp mixed spice
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
2 tbsp rum (or replaced with 1 tsp vanilla & 1/2 tsp rose flsvour)
1 lemon rind
2 tbsp lemon juice (or 1 tbsp lime juice)
1. Cut the fruits into small pieces, add in the nuts, honey, cinnamon, nutmeg, & rum. Keep for a few hours or overnite.
2. Sieve flour with baking powder, soda bicarbonate and spices together. Divide into two portions, mix one portion with the fruits and nuts.
3. Whisk eggs for a short while. Then add in sugar slowly and whisk till thick. Pour into another bowl.
4. Cream butter till light and creamy. Then add in eggs mixture, lemon juice and the grated rind.
5. Fold in the flour and alternately with the mix fruits carefully till finish.
6. Pour mixture into a 8″ sq. tin which has been greased & lined.
7. Bake in over at 350 deg.F for 1/2 hour and then reduce the heat to 250 deg.F for another 1/2 hour or until cooked.