This recipe is best with
- Pastry margarine:
- 125g unsalted butter
- 100g shortening
- (A) Dough:
- 350g high protein flour or bread flour
- 150g plain flour
- 6 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp milk powder
- 1/2 tsp bread improver
- 1/4 tsp bread softener
- 50g butter (softened)
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 tbsp instant yeast
- 250ml to 300ml cold water (approximately)
- Combine the unsalted butter and shortening in a small mixing bowl with a hand whisk. Mix well, but do not over beat.
- Put the pastry margarine into a plastic bag (15cm x 18cm). Roll out flat and even. Freeze for about 20 to 30 minutes.
- To make dough: Combine (A), (B), (C) and (D) in a mixing bowl. Add in (E). Use a dough hook to blend well. Add in water gradually and mix until well combined and a dough is formed.
- Knead the dough until smooth and it forms a ball. Cover the dough with a damp cloth and leave aside to rest for 30 to 40 minutes or until it has doubled in size. Punch down the dough to remove any air bubbles. Remove dough to a floured table top.
- Shaping the dough: Take out the chilled pastry margarine and knock lightly with a rolling pin. Sprinkle the table with high protein flour. Roll out the dough into a flat rectangle (21cm x 36cm).
- Put the pastry margarine in the centre of the rectangle. Sprinkle lightly with flour and fold in both the sides to overlap each other.
- Keep sprinkling lightly with flour, roll out flat and long. Sprinkle lightly with flour again. Roll flat and long. Wrap dough with cling-film and chill in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- Remove dough from the refrigerator and fold and roll once more. Chill again for 15 to 20 minutes. Repeat this process a third time. (this enables the finished pastry dough to have several layers.)
- For the final process, roll out pastry dough flat into a rectangle.