Dairy products have been a favourite in many parts of the world – and for very good reasons too. For example, a glass of milk can provide the nutrients and energy needed to sustain you throughout the day.
Recently, Fonterra Brands Malaysia shared ways for Muslims to incorporate dairy into their diets.
Fonterra consultant dietician Nurul Aziah Musa said the fasting month is a good time for people to refocus their attention on nutrition, and be more aware of the foods they are putting in their bodies to support long-term health and wellness.
“Meal planning is exceptionally important for those going on the fast. To sustain energy levels and stay hydrated throughout the day, you need to get a balanced diet of nutrient-rich foods and fluids,” Nurul Aziah said.
Together with Nurul Aziah, Fonterra cooperative affairs manager and chairman of the halal committee Manisya Ismail shared recipes for sahur and iftar at a culinary demonstration using the range of Fonterra dairy – including milk, butter and yoghurt from Anlene, Anchor, Fernleaf and CalciYum.
This Chicken and Potatoes Mini Pizza recipe is a healthier twist to the usual curry puffs and is perfect as a snack for children when breaking fast. This recipe and photo are courtesy of Fonterra Brands Malaysia.
- 6 pizza crusts (store bought)
- 350g chicken and potatoe topping (ingredients listed below)
- 12 slices cheese
- scallion, or daun soup, sliced for garnishing
- For Chicken & Potatoes Topping
- 200g chicken breast meat, boneless and cut into cubes
- 3tbsp curry powder, add water to form into paste
- 3tbsp vegetable oil
- 30g unsalted butter
- 1 big onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1cm ginger, minced
- 400g potatoes, cut into cubes
- 3tbsp milk powder, mix well with 1 cup warm water
- Some curry leaves, minced
- salt to taste
- Heat oil and butter in a non-stick frying pan over medium heat.
- Stir fry the onion, garlic and ginger for about 2 minutes or until soft and golden.
- Add the curry powder and stir fry until crispy. Add water if necessary.
- Add the chicken, curry leaves and stir fry until cooked.
- Add milk and continue cooking.
- Add the potatoes and salt to taste. Continue cooking until tender. Add water if necessary.
- To assemble, simply cut the pizza crusts into smaller round shapes, about 3 inches wide.
- Top each base with chicken and potatoes and cover with the cheese slices.
- Bake in a preheated oven with a temperature of 200°C for approximately 5 minutes or until nicely golden brown.
- Garnish with scallion or daun sup. Serve while hot.