NOT only is the Bean and Lentil Stew healthy, it makes for a delicious dip for roti too.
Try this easy recipe for a delicious bowl of veggie goodness.
This recipe was first published in Flavours magazine.
- For stewing
- 300g yellow lentils, rinsed and soaked in water separately, overnight
- 100g black-eyed beans, rinsed and soaked overnight
- 1.5litres Stock, made with water, 2 vegetable stock cubes and 2 tsp salt
- 3 tomatoes, cubed
- 2 green chillies, seeded and halved
- 1small carrot, diced
- 2sticks celery, peeled and diced
- 2tbsp ground cumin
- 2tbsp ground coriander
- 1tsp ground turmeric
- For frying
- 2tbsp palm oil
- 1tsp black mustard seeds
- 1tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4tsp asafoetida
- 2dried red chillies, halved
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 30 curry leaves
- Place all stewing ingredients in a pot and simmer for 40 minutes until lentils and beans are soft.
- Place oil in a pan over medium heat and fry the mustard, cumin seeds and asafoetida. Once they crackle, add the chillies, onions and curry leaves and fry till onions are soft. Add this to the stew and simmer for 10 minutes. Serve with toasted pita bread.