NOT only is the Bean and Lentil Stew healthy, it makes for a delicious dip for roti too.
Try this easy recipe for a delicious bowl of veggie goodness.
This recipe was first published in Flavours magazine.
- For stewing
- 300g yellow lentils, rinsed and soaked in water separately, overnight
- 100g black-eyed beans, rinsed and soaked overnight
- 1.5litres Stock, made with water, 2 vegetable stock cubes and 2 tsp salt
- 3 tomatoes, cubed
- 2 green chillies, seeded and halved
- 1small carrot, diced
- 2sticks celery, peeled and diced
- 2tbsp ground cumin
- 2tbsp ground coriander
- 1tsp ground turmeric
- For frying
- 2tbsp palm oil
- 1tsp black mustard seeds
- 1tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4tsp asafoetida
- 2dried red chillies, halved
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 30 curry leaves
- Place all stewing ingredients in a pot and simmer for 40 minutes until lentils and beans are soft.
- Place oil in a pan over medium heat and fry the mustard, cumin seeds and asafoetida.
- Once they crackle, add the chillies, onions and curry leaves and fry till onions are soft.
- Add this to the stew and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve with toasted pita bread.