Note: Tourtiere can be made up to 2 days in advance and reheated in a 149 degrees Celcius oven. Potatoes can be prepared up to a day in advance.
This recipe is best with
- 2 1/2cups of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp of fine salt
- 1/2 cup of unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup of vegetable shortening
- 2 tbsp of lemon juice
- 6 tbsp to 10 tbsp of cold water, whenever needed
- 1 1/2 cups of potatoes, diced and peeled
- 1 1/2pounds of ground veal or beef or a combination of both
- 2 onions, diced
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and finely diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 3/4tsp of fine salt
- 1/4tsp of ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp of crushed celery seeds
- A dash of all spice powder
- A dash of ground cloves
- 1 cup of apple cider
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1 egg mixed with 2 tbsp (25ml) of water for glazing
- Pastry: Combine flour with salt.
- Cut in butter and shortening until the mixture resembles a rough crumbly texture.
- Add lemon juice and water. Blend until dough comes together.
- Shape the dough into a disc.
- Wrap the dough and chill for 30 minutes.
- Filling: Cook potatoes in an uncovered pot of salted water until soft and tender. Afterwhich, drain the potatoes.
- Mash the potatoes and set aside to cool.
- In a large sauté pan or skillet, sauté the veal or beef over medium heat until it is no longer pink.
- Drain off the excess fat.
- Add onions, carrots and seasoning. Sauté until tender, for about 10 minutes.
- Add cider and water. Bring up to a simmer.
- Let the mixture simmer for about 15 minutes, until most of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Remove from heat, stir in potatoes and let cool at room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees Celcius.
- On a lightly floured surface, cut dough in half and roll it out to about 1/4 inch (0.5cm) thickness and line an 8 inch (20cm) springform pan.
- Fill it with the tourtiere filling.
- Roll out the remaining dough. Cut a hole in the center so as to allow the steam to escape. After which, place on top of the filling.
- Pinch the edges of the crust together and brush with eggwash.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until pastry turns a rich golden brown.
- Let cool for 5 minutes and then remove from pan and serve.