This recipe is best with
- 175g plain flour, sifted
- 125g cold butter, diced
- 25g castor sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tbsp cold water
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp icing sugar
- 1/8 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 apple
- 30g cranberries
- Lightly grease a loose-based fluted pie tin. Put flour and butter into a mixing bowl. Blend with a pastry cutter until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Stir in sugar and mix well then add in combined egg and water mixture.
- Knead lightly to form a soft ball of dough. Wrap the pastry dough in cling film wrap and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Roll out dough into a circle between 2 plastic sheets. The dough should be just big enough to line the base and sides of the pie tin. Press and trim off the edge.
- Use a fork to prick holes on the base of the pastry. Place the prepared pie tin in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- Line the pastry with a sheet of baking paper. Spread a layer of beans and bake in a preheated oven at 180°C for 10 minutes.
- Remove beans and paper and bake for another 5 minutes. Put sour cream, egg, milk, essence and icing sugar into a mixing bowl. Whisk until well combined then spoon into prepared pie tin.
- Halve apples, then remove core and slice thinly and arrange apple slices and cranberries over the custard mixture.
- Bake at 180°C for 25-30 minutes or until custard is set. Serve the tart warm.