This recipe is best with
- 260g plain flour
- 125g chilled butter, diced
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 1 tbsp iced water
- 350g UHT whipping cream
- 60g castor sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 6g green tea powder
- 2 egg whites
- Place flour and butter in the bowl of a food processor. Process until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the egg yolk and water and process until the dough just starts to bind together.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead lightly until smooth. Shape into a ball and chill in the refrigerator for 25-30 minutes.
- Roll out pastry dough to a 15x40cm rectangle about 3mm thick and line a 10x34cm fluted tart tin with removable base with the pastry.
- Trim the excess from the edge and prick the base with a fork. Place the tin in the refrigerator to rest for 30 minutes.
- Bake blind in preheated oven at 190°C for 15 minutes. Remove foil and beans and continue to bake for 5 more minutes. Remove and leave to cool.
- To make the filling, mix sugar, salt and green tea powder in a small bowl. Put whipping cream in a saucepan and add combined green tea powder mixture.
- Stir well then cook over medium low heat until it comes to a boil. Remove saucepan away from the heat and leave aside to cool.
- Add in egg yolks, egg whites and milk. Stir well to blend. Strain the mixture.
- Pour the filling into the half-baked pastry and bake in a preheated oven at 190°C until the filling sets.
- Cool completely then cut into slices and serve with light dusting of icing sugar.